Non-profit initiative Pictures for Purpose launches fundraising print sale of established and emerging artists based in the Netherlands
The new non-profit initiative Pictures for Purpose has launched a fundraising print sale by photographers based in the Netherlands, responding to the implications of the Covid-19 pandemic.For two weeks, works by various photographers based in the Netherlands are available for €125.
Inspired by artist-led initiatives in the USA with Pictures for Elmhurst and Italy with 100 Fotografi per Bergamo the proceeds from each print sold will be shared between the Dutch Food Bank and the participating photographers. The fundraiser offers a varied and unique range of established names and emerging talent, all based in the Netherlands, including works by Viviane Sassen, Bertien van Manen, Scarlett Hooft Graafland, Awoiska van de Molen, Kyle Weeks and Hajar Benjida.
The Covid-19 pandemic presents a series of difficult challenges for those operating at various levels within the cultural sector. At times like these, Pictures for Purpose aspires to offer crucial support to members of the creative community. Participating artists can therefore opt to receive up to 50% of the proceeds of each print sold to help recoup lost income. A minimum of 50% of the proceeds are then donated to the Voedselbank.
The Association of Dutch Food Banks continues to fight poverty in the Netherlands, providing food to those most in need of support. Due to the severe socioeconomic consequences of the Covid-19 pandemic, food banks are experiencing growing demand and increasing shortages. In Amsterdam, the number of households reliant on food banks has risen significantly in recent weeks and is expected to increase further in the near future. Where €5 can provide one household with food for a week, the proceeds from each print sold could support at least 10 families.
What to expect of pictures for purpose:
- All artists are selected with care and chosen because of their unique view and skills in contemporary photography
- One image per artist has been selected
- All prints are available for a donation of €125.00 (including tax)
- All prints are 210 x 297 mm in size, with a variable printed area depending on the aspect ratio of the photograph in question.
- All artworks are unsigned and available in an open edition
- Participating artists can opt to receive either 25% or 50% of the proceeds from each print sold to help recoup lost income. A minimum of 50% of the proceeds will be donated to the Dutch Food Bank. Every artist can alternatively decide to donate all of the proceeds to the Dutch Food Bank.
- The fundraiser runs for two weeks from Monday May 11th until Monday May 25th.
- The Amsterdam-based Fotolab will provide professional printing, packaging and shipping services. A subsidised fee of €13.30 will be allocated from each print sold to production expenses.
The fundraiser runs for two weeks, from Monday May 11th until Monday May 25th through the online platform www.picturesforpurpose.org.